Sunday, May 23, 2010

Alice

All things wonderlandian and certainly all things Alice fascinate me. Karyn and I went to Salem to see Alice's adventures underground. I got lost on the way there and Karyn was standing in the lobby looking so worried about me I think they held the show just for us! Because I was, at least 7 minutes late and they had not started yet (yes, I think they were waiting for us). It was very whimsical and I liked it a lot. The set was painted in different shades of gray but was absolutely fascinating full of little details and shelves and drawers that opened up into music boxes and tables. Plus clocks and teapots! The interesting thing was that Alice did not have to go anywhere to get to wonderland it just happened all around her it was all a sort of existential journey. Still hilarious and marvelous acting with excellent switching between personalities for a great ensemble cast. I am obsessed with Alice so I kept up very well with what was going on but I think someone who had not seen any Alice before would be very lost. Why is a raven like a writing desk? I would ask Edgar Allan Poe wouldn't you?

No comments: